Thursday, May 6, 2010

Mercy Watson to the Rescue: Pigs are cute and funny too.


Title: Mercy Watson to the Rescue
Author: Kate DiCamillo
Illustrator: Chris Van Dusen
Age range: 4-8
Genre: Early chapter books

I really struggle with the books for my oldest daughter, who is in kindergarten but is a strong reader.  I find that there is a disconnect between books that she can read and ones that I think have good and decent content within the pages.  Some books have too much attitude,  poor grammar, or overall just sassiness that I'm not keen on my daughter absorbing when she's only 5, almost 6.

These books were a complete joy to find for me, as they were super engaging for my daughter when she was able to read chapter books.  They are good and clean in content.  They are also beautifully and humorously illustrated by Chris Van Dusen, with pictures that make you just want to have your own pet pig.  While watching my daughter read it, I would peer over her shoulder and say, "Would you like to have your own pig too?"

Mercy does not speak, except to say oink, but she does display some other human type characteristics.  She sleeps in a bed, loves toast with butter, and can fix herself her own breakfast if necessary.  She is the pet pig of Mr. and Mrs. Watson, and she is doted on and loved by them.  There are some interesting characters who live next door, the Eugenia and Baby Lincoln, two elderly people who are not so keen on Mercy.  In this book, Mr. and Mrs. Watson are in bed sleeping with Mercy, when suddenly the bed falls through the floor because of the sheer weight.  Mercy is the only one who can help them, and she does, although she does not intend to.  She leaves the house in search of more hot buttered toast, and somehow in her own special pig madcap way manages to get the fire department to her home to save Mr. and Mrs. Watson.

Kate DiCamillo has six books in this charming series, and all of them are funny with Mercy acting special in each one. 

First Book


Second Book


Third Book


Fourth Book


Fifth Book


Sixth Book

1 comment:

  1. My kindergartener daughter read this book too and she loved it. I agree that for advanced young readers, it is hard to find appropriate books--Joey read Junie B Jones and I didn't like it at all--the vocab and attitude was too mature for her. The "fairy" books are good too, as long as your daughter is into fairy books. Rainbow fairy, Sports fairy, animal fairy--kind of inane but at least I don't have to worry about vocab and attitude. The Ramona books seem ok too but JOey just didn't get into them. Magic tree house is too scary for her. This is a great resource! I will definitely look back here again when I need some book ideas. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete