Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Duck on a Bike: For the ridiculous in all of us

Title:  Duck on a Bike
Author: David Shannon
Age Range: 3-6
Genre: Picture book

I like picture books that crack me up.  I do spend a lot of time reading them, so when I do, there are many a time when I like to be entertained.  This book entertains me with its pictures, its story line and its ending.  It's darn funny and pretty cute.

My daughter #2 has loved this book for over a year.  She can read it herself and there are many days where I catch her in the corner giggling while she reads this book.  The story itself is simple; one day, Duck gets it into her head that she can ride a bike, so she starts riding.  When the other animals see her, they make comments ranging from "You're not as fast as me" or "I wish I could ride like duck."  In reality, all the animals are slightly jealous of her bike riding skill and don't really know what to do with it.

In the end, the other animals take the opportunity themselves to ride bikes, when they are presented with a mess of bikes waiting for them in front of the house.  They ride themselves and have a blast. The last illustration with all the animals on their backs, enjoying themselves riding around is one of the funniest pictures ever.  The illustrations in the book will definitely tickle your fancy and you may find yourself wanting to read this book, even when your child has not demanded it.

No comments:

Post a Comment