Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Pigs Make Me Sneeze: Can you say Achoo!

Title: Pigs Make Me Sneeze
Author: Mo Willems
Illustrator: Mo Willems
Age Range: 4-8
Genre: Emerging readers

This book cracks me up.  The first time I read it I was laughing so hard I couldn't even read the words to my children.  It doesn't even have that many words.  It's much more about the expressions that Mo Willems paints on the Piggie and Elephant's faces that are so priceless.

If you're not familiar with the Mo Willems' series Elephant and Piggie, you should be.  They are funny, well-illustrated and loads of fun for emerging readers to read.  The humor is great even for adults, as it is slightly melodramatic and even slightly cynical, but altogether a great package.  There are 12 or so books in the series and each one is funny and delightful in its own way.

This book is about the fact that Gerald. the elephant, begins sneezing.  He immediately jumps to the conclusion that it is his best friend Piggie that is causing these outrageous crazy sneezes.  Piggie isn't sure but Elephant goes on the idea that the two can no longer be friends as Piggie makes him sneeze.  It turns out that Elephant has a cold which he has also managed to give to Piggie, as he was sneezing all over him in the beginning of the book.

All three of my kids (ages 2-6) love this book and think it hysterical.  I of course, exaggerate the sneezing sounds and make funny voices for both Gerald and Piggie.  They love it and ask me to read this one over and over again.  My daughter who is 4 will read this book over and over to herself as she just laughs and giggles as she reads it.  It's STILL funny after the 20th read by the way.  I know.  Because I still laugh.  (It's just not AS funny as the first time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment