Thursday, April 22, 2010

Brand New Readers: Great book packs for emerging readers

TitleBrand New Readers (a variety of boxed sets)
Author:  Various
Illustrator: Various
Age Range: 2-5
Genre: Emerging readers

I happened to stumble upon these book sets when I was trying to get my older daughter reading.  She had done all the necessary phonics and could sound out words, but needed practice with interesting books.  These series of books have great word repetition, engaging pictures, and an interesting enough storyline that the kids are entertained by them.

My older daughter started looking at them around 3 years of age.  I would read them to her. After about a year was able to actually read them.  My younger daughter loved the pictures and had me read them to her all the time.  In fact, over the weekend we went to a friend's house who had a couple sets of these books, and my younger daughter sat down on the grass and silently read every single one of the books available.  (thanks YK.)  This is not a set of books that many people have, as I've given them as gifts multiple times, and every single time the gift recipient has never seen them before.

You can get these as single readers, but the boxed set is a better deal.  There are 5 different boxed sets available, all with a different collection of books. The books within are varied, illustrations varied, and story lines varied.  Your child feels as if he or she is reading different books and not the same book with the same characters over and over.

The 5 different boxed sets available...









5 comments:

  1. exactly the type of thing i'm looking for! thanks for the recommendation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got this and my boys love them. Lucas picked them up and read them and thought they were all so funny. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicci! So glad you thought they were good. I think they are really wonderful to read as well. (and short to boot!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bought another set. He loves them since he can read them by himself. It is cute watching him read them to Owen.

    ReplyDelete