Sunday, June 6, 2010

Cobble Street Cousins - In Aunt Lucy's Kitchen: A time when life was simpler

Title: In Aunt Lucy's Kitchen
Author: Cynthia Rylant
Illustrator: Wendy Anderson Halperin
Age Range: 5-10
Genre: Early chapter books

My oldest child is just 6 years old.   I teacha wide range of students (4th grade through high school) so although I know many titles for kids to read, not everything I feel is appropriate for her.  She is a fast reader and a very good one, and I've really struggled to find the kind of book that I want her to read. Unfortunately, I'm not so into the Rainbow Fairy series, Judy Moody, or Junie B. Jones which often seems to represent the bulk of what is available to an early chapter reader.

I like books that reflect a simpler time, simpler lifestyle and no sassy kids saying obnoxious things to their parents.  I know that this may be unreasonable, but I like my daughter to read things to which she can aspire.  Having her read the stuff that she may hear from day to day does not appeal, nor do I wish her learning particular obnoxious or sassy language from a book.  She is easily influenced at this age, so my preference is to influence her in an uplifting manner.

Cynthia Rylant (Henry and Mudge series) is an author I like, for she writes a book of quality.  Her characters are lovable, the themes and ideas in the book are simple and wholesome, and generally her characters do not say the words "stupid" or "dumb" to one another.  In the Cobble Street Cousins series, three cousins, ages 9, come to live together at their Aunt Lucy's home, because their parents are off touring the world as ballet dancers.  They make Aunt Lucy's their home, and together come up with different adventures and ideas as to how they would like to spend their time.

The three cousins decide to start baking in their kitchen, and through delivery of their home baked goods make friends in the neighborhood.  Through wholesome activities and thoughtful planning the girls live out their days in activity, love, and laughter.  Great series, especially for girls.

First in the series


#2


#3


#4


#5


#6


Henry and Mudge

No comments:

Post a Comment